Wednesday, March 25, 2015

When Things Don't Work Out...Adapt!

First attempt, a gooseneck flatbed
If you've been following along you may remember that a friend of a friend of mine was embarking on the road to Tiny House living. Purchasing an old 5th wheel flat bed, they started the process of rebuilding the deck and making ready to construct their own Tiny House with plans of moving at some point to the state of Maine... or maybe Colorado.

It didn't take too long into the process to discover that they may have bitten off more than they could chew so this first venture was scrapped. Actually they sold the trailer frame and modified their plan to buying a ready built portable building (shed on skids). With a completed, straight and square, structure to start with, finishing off the interior and installing the assorted systems seemed more workable.

Round two, a finish it yourself cabin
The local ordinances put the skids to this plan as well. Turned out there would be a substantial daily penalty for such a venture. Scrap that plan too, even before it got started.

Undeterred yet another direction or twist has taken place in their plans. The latest version of down sized living will be in the form of a 1988 Allegro motorhome.  The price was right, the condition not so much. Mechanically sound, but because of numerous leaks the wooden part of the structure was in pretty sorry shape. The big plus is that this motorhome is constructed with an aluminum square tubing frame work. Stripping it down to the bare frame makes it easier to insure the repairs to the roof and other areas of water infiltration are repaired properly.

Then it's a matter of insulating the rig considerably better than it came from the
Third try, the tarp covers a bad leak in the roof.
factory, and rebuilding the interior to suit their needs. To date much of the floor has been cut out and replaced. Roof repairs are next on the list of immediate concerns, and the whole interior has been stripped out.

The theme in the remodel is simpler is better. Original wiring has been all removed, as has the various systems and appliances. The plan is to make use of solar power as much as possible and minimize the use of 120Volt items.

Taking an older RV down to it's bones and bringing it back is no small task. I will continue to monitor and report on their
Stripped to it's bones, now to build it back 
progress.. Good Luck Danni and Kris!



2 comments:

  1. Curtis,
    What was the ordinance problem with the portable building? Was it 8 feet wide or wider? Was it the size or the state? ;)
    I too have the tiny house "bug". Being a female, yes I can do that. Build. And I do woodworking too. So it wouldn't cost me nearly as much as having it done.
    I also have worked in mobile home and rv factories. So I have a good bit of knowledge on repairs or like your friend is doing. Gutting it and doing it RIGHT to start with. And of course the cosmetics too. It's just one of the things I really like doing.
    Yeah I know, I should have been my dads son, but..he just got me. Lol.
    I also like old school muscle cars. And I can also work on them too. Dad taught me that too. ;)
    I started out as his gopher.. as in.. go fer the tools he threw. Lol. Retreiver perhaps? Yep.
    But I learned. My hands were smaller than his and got into tighter places.
    So, yeah I am mechenically inclined.
    Gutting a rv sounds fun to me. :)
    Hope you are having a good day wherever you are. I'm jealous! ;)
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what the ordinance issue was, I only write what they tell me.

      Delete